Rob Walters is a trial partner with extensive experience in antitrust, securities, class action, and business tort litigation. Mr. Walters is nationally recognized for his abilities and accomplishments as a trial lawyer. He has served as lead trial counsel in a wide array of trials and adversarial proceedings, including the representative trials and class action proceedings described below.* He has also counseled and represented clients in government investigations and the antitrust aspects of mergers and acquisitions. He serves as Partner-in-Charge of the firm’s Dallas office and has served as a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. Mr. Walters served as Executive Vice President and General Counsel of Energy Future Holdings from 2008 until 2010. He was a partner at Vinson & Elkins LLP from 1990 until 2008, where he also served as a member of the firm’s Management Committee.
Mr. Walters received his Bachelor of Arts degree (Plan II Interdisciplinary Honors) summa cum laude from the University of Texas at Austin in 1980. He earned his law degree from the University of Texas at Austin in 1983, graduating cum laude and serving on The Texas Law Review.
- Texas Lawyer’s “Distinguished Leader” for its 2017 Professional Excellence Awards that recognize “lawyers who have made their mark on the legal profession in the Lone Star State”
- The American Lawyer’s “Forty-Five Lawyers Under 45: Rising Stars in the Law”
- The National Law Journal’s “Top Forty Lawyers in America Under Forty”
- Texas Monthly’s “Top 100 Lawyers in Texas”
- Best Lawyers’ Dallas “Lawyer of the Year” for Antitrust Law 2014
- Dallas Business Journal’s “Who’s Who in Energy”
- Recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading lawyer in antitrust and competition law and in general commercial litigation
- Recognized by Dallas Business Journal as a “Leading Energy Lawyer”
- Recognized by U.S. Lawyer Rankings as among the nation’s “Top Ten Antitrust Lawyers”
- Recognized by Global Competition Review’s research with clients and peers as being among the world’s leading competition lawyers and featured in The International Who’s Who of Competition Lawyers & Economists and The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers
- Recognized by Global Counsel Competition Law Handbook as among “America’s Best Antitrust Lawyers”
- Recognized by Global Counsel Dispute Resolution Handbook as among “America’s Best Trial Lawyers”
Mr. Walters frequently lectures on the antitrust laws and trial of complex litigation. He has served as an adjunct professor at Southern Methodist University School of Law on trial advocacy and at the University of Texas, School of Law on energy policy and law.